Skip to main content

The Pioneer LX55 Bluray Player Review

Pioneer Corporations, once the leading company for Home Theatre Systems, Display and Optical players, began to falter when the likes of Samsung, LG, Sharp etc came into picture with lower end products for the mass consumer.

Pioneer, who steer clear form the niche market, producing high end products, fell to it's knees, withdrawing from the TVs market and started a joint venture with Sharp, resulted in absolute catastrophe. Pioneer fanboys nicknamed the products "Sharpioneer"

A bold direction, right or wrong, there's too much points to take, although myself would 200% standby their decision to continue with making highend products previously, even though they failed eventually.

Anyhow, ever since that catastrophic "Sharpioneer" released, tons of consumers ditched their players within days of purchases, the management finally woke the FUCK UP. Director Product Planning and Marketing Pioneer USA, Chris Walker started visiting multiple online forums, gathering feed-backs, problems and "wishlists" from consumers all over the world to develop the latest most desired BDP or Blu Ray Player.


Backtrack to early July, Ms Pfie, aka Janet Lim Pei Fen dropped me a message to ask me about players and i gave her my piece and asked her why she ask. Latter that I know she's getting staff discount for Pioneer products and immediately request for the brochure. And I was left with less than 15minutes before the offer closes upon receiving the brochure. AVRs (Amplifiers) had too many factors to consider and I do not need them yet, while I was looking for a kick ass player, I saw the "Top of the Line" BDP-LX55 going for S$320.00 when the original retails at S$599!! I made my payment immediately and begged her to help me get the set!

After 3 weeks wait, it's finally here !!

 BDP-LX55 top of the line model
 Unboxing my set
 BDP-LX55 emblem
 State of the art Audio out via Optical or HDMI with PQLS
 What's inside?
Power supply's on the left, CDP centre and the mainboard on the right.
 Finally back to the legendary Mediatek board and chipset with Marvell's Qdeo Video Decoder Chipset.
 Mediatek Board
 The 32bit AKM AK4480 DAC chipset
Pioneer BDP LX55 on top of my Toshiba SD-9200 Flagship DVD player
 Great pairing

Here's why I decided to purchase this player.

1. PQLS:
Precision Quartz Lock System is an anti-jitter technology typically applied to digital music. Jitter is what happens when a particular audio signal encounters some form of interruption thereby causing a disturbance and/or a deviation. When this condition happens, a jitter occurs which also decreases the quality of the said audio signal. Through the PQLS technology, audio signal jitter is reduced or eliminated resulting to a better sound with higher quality.

-in short, sound quality is greatly increased

2. Marvell Qdeo
The latest video upscaling and enhancing technology in the market. Capable of doing 4 times current FullHD format to 4K.

-in short best picture quality

3. SACD function
Super Audio Compact-Disc. My Toshiba is my main CD player but it lacks true SACD support. It only plays 2.0 SACD format, hence concerto albums with 5.1 surround will not be supported on my Toshiba.

I've tested the player immediately due to the online spats that this player isn't DVD region free. All my DVDs R1, R3 and Blurays are working like a charm, the upscaling is magnificent, improving DVD's picture quality by a mile, needless to say the natural color appearing on my bottleneck Samsung 26" LCD TV was so splendid.

Region: DVDs are split into 6 regions
R1: USA & Canada
R2: Europe and Japan
R3: Singapore and rest of S.E.A
R4: South America
R5: Africa and Middle Eastern Countries & India
R6: Pirated (China)

Happy broke man :))
I wouldn't buy branded bag or wallets or watches, but I'll definitely go for branded electronics that is worth every dime ^^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't believe I actually took time to update and maintain our YEI Forum. Never knew I could be this crazy, but I know 1 thing for sure, it's never too late to start? But I'm really, growing too old for this. Ye Eun simply gorgeous! Credit: yeeun-impact.net / yeeun.wordpress.com And I blew up during dinner...
While caking, someone pop right into my head. Anyway, my top strength is: 1. Ideation: loves associating and providing ideas 2. Command: leadership, loves to put his ideas through 3. Futurist: star-trek 4. Individualisation: view individual base on strength weakness, not stereotyping 5. Learner: keen to learn In short, I'm a futuristic creative open commander! Sounds awesome eh? Strength Finder 2.0 is a book that only concentrate on strengths ($39.00) zero about weaknesses so all you hear are good stuff. ======= Individualisation Anyway back to my caking session. Mr Ibrahim, came to my mind. He was quite a good looking Indian back in my primary school days. I've always tried to protect him though I admit to join in bullying him once in a while. Sometimes he'd come to me "begging" to help him or lend him money with his hands in "praying mode". I took pity of him ever since he did that once and when he told me "All i got is 40cents a day and they sto