Skip to main content

honesty


Out of the blue, someone came to ask me if I'm willing to accept the Graduate Program from Deutsche Bank, the Graduate Program is slightly different from the Management Trainee program. The MT usually selects a group of elites, and most of them have fast track to senior roles (AVP and above). Here at Deutsche Bank, they select a group of potential individuals and train them all the way from the bottom.

I told the person that it would honestly be an honor but I'd reject.

I understand that the team is overly supportive and appreciative of my efforts these days, yeah I'll admit that I do put in effort with my work, but the quality of my work and the depth of my understanding within the requirements of our team is simply not up to the standard that I think I should be.

Of course I am not saying I will be rejecting the offer because I think I'm not good enough, if given a chance, that said, I'm not being offered, they have plans to push me through the ranks for that offer once I graduate.

So, the path of life began when I just wanted money. Money is power, popularity, comfort, happiness, no denying that, but to earn that kind of money, one needs to go through hell before you'll ever see the light ever again. I worked through the ranks, with help from friends, finally I ended up in one of the more prestigious banks in the world, and that was it.



Through this journey i began to realize what I truly and really want.

The main reason I am continuing to stay was because of my father, you can see it in his eyes when he knew I'm gonna work in Raffles Place, again. Or when my sister got accepted into Ernst & Yang. Or even more ridiculous, he went to talk to my friend, and wanted my friend to persuade me to stay in banking when he overheard me wanting to leave for other jobs.

So I'm hoping to stay for a good 2 years, finish up my degree and tell my parents this:

I've done all that I could, based on your expectations, now, please let me live my life the way I want it to be. Do not look down on what I am going to do, or what a waste of my time, my life, my efforts going through to climb the corporate ladder. I am who I am, accept it. I will pay my dues, I'll take good care of you both, that I can promise you all, but please do not expect me to live the life you've always wanted me to be.

I wanted a degree not because I like or feel crippled without one, it's because of the way my parents would feel, when someone would ask what is their children's highest qualifications or what jobs are they holding. I'm trying to show them that, yes I can become what YOU want me to be, and I will prove it to you that I can, and then it's the end.

Been there done that *wink*

I really want to feel and enjoy the essence of life, my way, going through the freedom of emotions and the abundance of choices, freedom and power to belief, like any 4 year old kid who dreams everyday, that he'll be a star someday, a footballer or a lawyer. I want to try to live through the next 50 odd years without regret, without being judged. Couldn't care less about the rest, but I do mind a lot when it's done by my love ones.



Exceptionally so when I do not have a family, a wife and children, not that they are a burden, but that they are part of the next phase of life, I'm at the end of my current phase...

I'm truly grateful to be appreciated for my efforts. And that is enough, to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't believe I actually took time to update and maintain our YEI Forum. Never knew I could be this crazy, but I know 1 thing for sure, it's never too late to start? But I'm really, growing too old for this. Ye Eun simply gorgeous! Credit: yeeun-impact.net / yeeun.wordpress.com And I blew up during dinner...
While caking, someone pop right into my head. Anyway, my top strength is: 1. Ideation: loves associating and providing ideas 2. Command: leadership, loves to put his ideas through 3. Futurist: star-trek 4. Individualisation: view individual base on strength weakness, not stereotyping 5. Learner: keen to learn In short, I'm a futuristic creative open commander! Sounds awesome eh? Strength Finder 2.0 is a book that only concentrate on strengths ($39.00) zero about weaknesses so all you hear are good stuff. ======= Individualisation Anyway back to my caking session. Mr Ibrahim, came to my mind. He was quite a good looking Indian back in my primary school days. I've always tried to protect him though I admit to join in bullying him once in a while. Sometimes he'd come to me "begging" to help him or lend him money with his hands in "praying mode". I took pity of him ever since he did that once and when he told me "All i got is 40cents a day and they sto

The Pioneer LX55 Bluray Player Review

Pioneer Corporations, once the leading company for Home Theatre Systems, Display and Optical players, began to falter when the likes of Samsung, LG, Sharp etc came into picture with lower end products for the mass consumer. Pioneer, who steer clear form the niche market, producing high end products, fell to it's knees, withdrawing from the TVs market and started a joint venture with Sharp, resulted in absolute catastrophe. Pioneer fanboys nicknamed the products "Sharpioneer" A bold direction, right or wrong, there's too much points to take, although myself would 200% standby their decision to continue with making highend products previously, even though they failed eventually. Anyhow, ever since that catastrophic "Sharpioneer" released, tons of consumers ditched their players within days of purchases, the management finally woke the FUCK UP. Director Product Planning and Marketing Pioneer USA, Chris Walker started visiting multiple online forums, gat