Skip to main content

Growing up.



Got my first full-time job at aged 20, marketing communications coordinator with StarHub Ltd, a telecommunications company which has only started 5 years prior, expanding into full scale biz ie. Mobile, CableTV, Internet. The company was simply fun, creative and energetic, with people from all walks of life. Budget was aplenty and people were glowing because we could express ourselves a hell lot more with that budget. (compared to my time at OCBC, same role, S$2.00 corporate lanyard, #wtf could you do more?)




Amidst all that, what I was most intrigued was the fact that there were more than 1/3 of the staff in marketing that were RENTING. I mean they have parents, both around healthy and all but they chose to rent, some even rent with their friends. I mean I was shocked out of my wits, I couldn't comprehend and it just wouldn't sit well with me, monetary, spiritually, emotionally, why would someone want to live apart from their family?? Rent would just go down the drain, it's a lot different comparing to paying mortgage, at the end of the day it's yours #hopefully. Still, what would a 19 year old sheltered all smiley fair skin goofy boy know about #life.

8 years later, that boy put down a S$150,000.00 down-payment, stamp duty, fees, tax on a 43 square meter no bedroom loft along Sim's Drive.




Why did this young adult go back on his words and take a 180 degrees change on his take? Honestly I did not, I clearly understood the benefits of staying with my parents, the comfort and convenience is jaw dropping.

All i had to do is to whine about the dim lights, a brighter one will appear within 3 days
All i had to do is put my shirts and pants in the laundry basket and they'd be clean and ironed
All i need is to not put my shoes back into the racks and the soles will be fixed
All i need is to leave my broken belt in the kitchen, and a new one would appear
All i need. . .


I've always talk a lot about moving out of Singapore, can I really do that, on my own? Moving out to stay on my own is definitely 1 way to find out. I've always been living in my comfort zone, 200% so in the past 1/2 a decade, it's time to really see if I can really be that suave, self sustaining, dependable and reliable man I pride myself to be.

Of course amidst that, aging... yes aging... has it's issues. I became a ridiculously light sleeper, I could hear my mom opening her toilet door in her own room, the click of the switch in the living room when she wake up every morning and I take 45mins minimum, to get into sleep.

Guess what I'm saying is that I became really delicate and sensitive, whiny, bossy and irritable that I think it'd best serve the happiness of everyone that I stay on my own. I mean, the beauty of the peace and zen every day, the solitude may be harsh for some but they're definitely music to my ears considering the fatigue i get working in the "stress zone".

Not many could really understand but. . .


I really can't wait to be in my own world

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't believe I actually took time to update and maintain our YEI Forum. Never knew I could be this crazy, but I know 1 thing for sure, it's never too late to start? But I'm really, growing too old for this. Ye Eun simply gorgeous! Credit: yeeun-impact.net / yeeun.wordpress.com And I blew up during dinner...
While caking, someone pop right into my head. Anyway, my top strength is: 1. Ideation: loves associating and providing ideas 2. Command: leadership, loves to put his ideas through 3. Futurist: star-trek 4. Individualisation: view individual base on strength weakness, not stereotyping 5. Learner: keen to learn In short, I'm a futuristic creative open commander! Sounds awesome eh? Strength Finder 2.0 is a book that only concentrate on strengths ($39.00) zero about weaknesses so all you hear are good stuff. ======= Individualisation Anyway back to my caking session. Mr Ibrahim, came to my mind. He was quite a good looking Indian back in my primary school days. I've always tried to protect him though I admit to join in bullying him once in a while. Sometimes he'd come to me "begging" to help him or lend him money with his hands in "praying mode". I took pity of him ever since he did that once and when he told me "All i got is 40cents a day and they sto

The Pioneer LX55 Bluray Player Review

Pioneer Corporations, once the leading company for Home Theatre Systems, Display and Optical players, began to falter when the likes of Samsung, LG, Sharp etc came into picture with lower end products for the mass consumer. Pioneer, who steer clear form the niche market, producing high end products, fell to it's knees, withdrawing from the TVs market and started a joint venture with Sharp, resulted in absolute catastrophe. Pioneer fanboys nicknamed the products "Sharpioneer" A bold direction, right or wrong, there's too much points to take, although myself would 200% standby their decision to continue with making highend products previously, even though they failed eventually. Anyhow, ever since that catastrophic "Sharpioneer" released, tons of consumers ditched their players within days of purchases, the management finally woke the FUCK UP. Director Product Planning and Marketing Pioneer USA, Chris Walker started visiting multiple online forums, gat