Skip to main content

AMP

1st crazy hoot of 2012, a pair of AKG K601 headphone. From the picture, you identify this is definitely a studio headphones, only be used indoors due to it's open-back design (you can see the pores on the sides of the headphones). This was AKG's flagship model in the early 2000s, I got his off someone for SGD200.00. Retailing for SGD399.00.

AKG K601 Flagship model

Open-back-phones technically provide more sound-stage (often refers to the 3D-sound replicated in a theatre or concert hall), favored by the audiophiles for its clarity, transparency and smooth audio-bliss coming from the can. That said, the bass "punch" would be vastly neglected. Sound are made from mini vibrations, bass are rated at the lower end of 50-70hz, low but punchy, hence without the isolation, the punch will be lost due to the open cans design (No bouncing off "walls" of cans).


My preference of audio is quite focus, give me a bass monster or an elegant audiophile sexperience. That said, these cans are quite heavy to drive at 120Ohms (Ohms refer to resistivity), therefore a headphone amp will be required.

The 601s is mostly used at my workplace, can't simply bring my Citypulse DA2.03e DAC/AMP (DAC: Digital Audio Converter. Converts digital signal to sound, like your typical  PC Soundcards or CD player) to work, it has a near-to-perfect DAC but quite a weak headphone amp still. 


I've been looking for a better amp for quite sometime as compared to City's headamp. The AudioEngine D1, RSA Predator and Nuforce HD were amongst the forerunners for my next purchase.

RSA Predator RP: SGD420.00 / 2nd hand SGD330

Nuforce HD RP: USD350/2nd hand SGD300
 AudioEngine D1 RP USD180 / 2nd hand SGD200

After much research, when I was about to lunge SGD300.00 into the predator (due to it's reliability and raving reviews) I came across this article via Jaben (www.jaben.net).

O2 Amp: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html


 
Like myself, the creator does put all the ifs and buts into numbers, measuring the amp's amplitude and power outage to ensure it's competitiveness is not purely base on "hear-say" or marketing gimmicks. Of course, audio has and will always be a subjective hobby to pursue, one always have to take a leap of faith to try things out.

Price of amp: SGD165.00
Price of DAC/AMP: SGD335.00

Still contemplating on getting the dac with amp or just the amp. The main reason the rest of the amps were dropped:

Nuforce HD: Only serves as a pre-amp with only 1 input source, USB. I'd prefer an amp that I can link up with my Citypulse.
AudioEngine D1:  Size makes the quality of the amp doubtful, though I'm in love with AE branding.
RSA Predator: Cost definitely and it is suppose to be portable, what I need is a desk-bound amp.

That said, nothing's firm up yet, we'll need 10 orders before we can materialize this, keeping my fingers crossed.

PS: It's customized, it'll be red with yellow knob and yellow LED. SEXCITED !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't believe I actually took time to update and maintain our YEI Forum. Never knew I could be this crazy, but I know 1 thing for sure, it's never too late to start? But I'm really, growing too old for this. Ye Eun simply gorgeous! Credit: yeeun-impact.net / yeeun.wordpress.com And I blew up during dinner...
While caking, someone pop right into my head. Anyway, my top strength is: 1. Ideation: loves associating and providing ideas 2. Command: leadership, loves to put his ideas through 3. Futurist: star-trek 4. Individualisation: view individual base on strength weakness, not stereotyping 5. Learner: keen to learn In short, I'm a futuristic creative open commander! Sounds awesome eh? Strength Finder 2.0 is a book that only concentrate on strengths ($39.00) zero about weaknesses so all you hear are good stuff. ======= Individualisation Anyway back to my caking session. Mr Ibrahim, came to my mind. He was quite a good looking Indian back in my primary school days. I've always tried to protect him though I admit to join in bullying him once in a while. Sometimes he'd come to me "begging" to help him or lend him money with his hands in "praying mode". I took pity of him ever since he did that once and when he told me "All i got is 40cents a day and they sto

The Pioneer LX55 Bluray Player Review

Pioneer Corporations, once the leading company for Home Theatre Systems, Display and Optical players, began to falter when the likes of Samsung, LG, Sharp etc came into picture with lower end products for the mass consumer. Pioneer, who steer clear form the niche market, producing high end products, fell to it's knees, withdrawing from the TVs market and started a joint venture with Sharp, resulted in absolute catastrophe. Pioneer fanboys nicknamed the products "Sharpioneer" A bold direction, right or wrong, there's too much points to take, although myself would 200% standby their decision to continue with making highend products previously, even though they failed eventually. Anyhow, ever since that catastrophic "Sharpioneer" released, tons of consumers ditched their players within days of purchases, the management finally woke the FUCK UP. Director Product Planning and Marketing Pioneer USA, Chris Walker started visiting multiple online forums, gat